School of Motoring
We’ve been building our trust and experience since 1973
Our calm, experienced tutor specializes in giving nervous learner drivers the confidence that they need to pass their driving test and take to the roads with confidence.
We mix all detailed things together
1 hour lesson
1. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine coolant level and tell me how you would check the engine has the correct level.
A. Identify the coolant tank and check the min/max markings. If the coolant is below the min mark then more coolant will need to be added. To do this, unscrew the cap and pour in coolant until the max mark is reached.
2. Open the bonnet, identify where the brake fluid reservoir is and tell me how you would check that you have a safe level of hydraulic brake fluid
A. Identify the brake fluid reservoir and check the fluid level against the min/max levels.
3. Show me/explain how you would check that the power assisted steering is working before starting a journey.
A. If the steering becomes heavy the steering may be faulty. Before starting a journey two simple checks can be made.
4. Open the bonnet, identify where you would check the engine oil level and tell me how you would check that the engine has enough oil.
A. Identify the dipstick, pull it out and check the oil level against the min/max markings
5. Open the bonnet, identify where the Windscreen Washer reservoir is and tell me how you check the level?
A. Identify reservoir, lift off cap and make a visual check of level as there are no external markings on reservoir.
6. Show me how you would check that the horn is working.
A. Press the horn and listen (turn on ignition if necessary).
7. Show me how you would check that the brake lights are working on this car.
A.Operate brake pedal, make use of reflections in windows, garage doors, etc, or ask someone to help.
8. Tell me how you would check that the brakes are working before starting a journey.
A. As you move off check the brakes. They should not feel spongy and the car should not pull to one side.
9. Tell me how you would check that the headlights and tail lights are working.
A. Turn on lights (turn ignition if necessary), walk around car and check that the lights are on.
10. Show me how you would check that the direction indicators are working correctly.
A. Activate the indicators or hazard warning lights and walk around the car to see if all the indicators are working correctly.
11. Tell me where you would find the information for the recommended tyre pressures for this car and how tyre pressures should be checked.
A. Information will be found using the car manufacturer’s manual. Check the tyre pressures by using a reliable pressure gauge when the tyres are cold. Don’t forget the spare and remember to refit the valve caps.
12. Show me how you would check the parking brake for excessive wear.
A. Apply the parking brake. When it is fully applied it should secure itself.
13. Tell me how you make sure your head restraint is correctly adjusted so it provides the best protection in the event of a crash.
A. The head restraint should be adjusted so the rigid part of the head restraint is at least as high as the eye or top of the ears, and as close to the back of the head as is comfortable. N.B. Some restraints might not be adjustable.
14. Tell me how you would check the tyres to show that they have sufficient tread depth and that their general condition is safe to use on the road.
A. A safe tyre will have no cuts or bulges. The tread depth should be at least 1.6mm across the central 3/4s of the breadth of the tyre and around the entire outer circumference.
15. Show me how you would clean the windscreen using the windscreen washer and wipers.
A. Operate control to wash and wipe windscreen. (turn ignition on if necessary)
16. Show me how you would set the demister controls to clear all the windows effectively, this should include both front and rear screens.
A. Set all relevant controls including; fan, temperature, air direction / source and heated screen to clear windscreen and windows. Engine does not have to be started for this demonstration.
17. Tell me how you would know if there was a problem with your anti lock braking system.
A. Warning light should illuminate if there is a fault with the anti lock braking system.
18. Show me how you switch your headlight from dipped to main beam and explain how you would know the main beam is on whilst inside the car.
A. Operate switch (with ignition or engine on if necessary), check with main beam warning light
If you have any questions you would like to ask please fill out form below and we will be get in touch with you within 24 hours.